As a fitness professional, lack of time is the most common reason that I hear from clients as to why they have not reached their fitness goals, or what has kept them from exercising in the first place. Fitness can mean a lot of things, but to me it means movement. Running, biking, hiking, skiing are all common types of movement that come to mind but they usually take planing and or preparation. Finding ways you can incorporate more movement into your daily life can be a great place to start. Here are some simple ways to start:
- While brushing your teeth in the morning do 10 body weight squats and 10 calf raises.
- When you get up from a chair or couch, sit back down and stand back up 10 times.
- While waiting for something to warm up on the stove or in the microwave do body weight push-ups against the counter.
- Join your child on the playground and run up the stairs and down the slides.
- Put laundry or dishes away one item at a time.
- While on the phone pace the room or take laps up and down the hallway.
- Park at the back of the lot when heading into a store or work.
Increased activity, no matter how small, adds up over time. Find a way to MOVE MORE!!!!