I recently received my Precision Nutrition Level 1 Coaching certification and am excited to share with you a few pieces of advice to tackle these upcoming months. The program I went through helps with life long nutrition and instilling positive habits. This program isn’t about calorie counting, following a strict food plan, or cutting out our favorite foods. Life is too short. Instead, it focuses on small habits from drinking enough water, getting 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, trying to eat every 2-4 hours and to plan and prepare in advance.
For those of us trying to be proactive with our health going into the holidays and New Year here is a little advice:
• First, write down your goal. If I am going to maintain my weight, there are steps I have to take to achieve this goal over the holidays. To make it happen, put it down on paper.
• Secondly, you must establish behavior goals that will eventually lead to a successful “outcome” goal. Behavior goals may be; I will eat breakfast every day, I will drink 8 cups of water per day, I will exercise 30 minutes each day, etc.
• After you’ve written down your main goal and your behaviors, establish a timeline with steps leading to success. “I want to maintain my weight until January 1.” I will accomplish this by only eating one slice of bread on my sandwich, limit myself to 1 cookie/day, measure out my portions and add an extra 30 minute walk into my day.
• Lastly, with your goal in mind, I want you to focus on ONE HABIT every 1-2 weeks. There is research stating if you start with one habit, there is a 50-80% success rate you will follow through with it. Once you start introducing another habit, it drops to below 20%. For the next couple months, and so on, I challenge you to focus on one small habit every 1-2 weeks that will help with your nutrition, fitness, health and life goals.
Here are a couple suggestions:
• Drink at least 2 L of water per day (~64oz); add more if exercising
• Eat 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day; ratio of 5 veggies: 1 fruit
• Limit yourself to 1 sweet per day
• Put yourself on a schedule of eating and exercising throughout the holidays: FOLLOW through with it.
If you are interested in Nutrition Coaching please contact Annie at email@example.com