As a personal trainer I spend a majority of my day helping members and clients set and reach attainable goals. I have found goal setting to be a rewarding, fun, and frustrating part of my job! The rewarding part being the satisfaction I see in my clients when they have reached a goal, the fun is being able to help someone reach their goals in way that is enjoyable and unique to them, and the frustrating is when a goal is so far out of reach that it is unattainable and therefore ineffective.
In 2015 I wanted to share a couple ways to set fun, attainable, and realistic goals without the frustration!
1. Make your goals SMART.
Specific- Exactly what is your goal? “I want to lose 10 Lbs in 10 weeks.”
Measurable- Is it a goal that can be measured? “I am going to weigh myself every Monday at 8:00 am.”
Attainable- Can I physically lose 1 lb a week in 10 weeks? If I put in the work, YES!
Realistic- Is this something that I can accomplish in the near future? (ps. it is healthy to lose up to 2 lbs a week if you realistically have weight to lose)
Time specific- When do I want to accomplish my goal by? 10 weeks!
2. Start small, set a goal for yourself daily or weekly and make it something that you know you can reach but is still challenging for you. For example, if your goal is to make it to the gym 3 days a week then pick the days and times that best fit your busy schedule and then set your workout clothes aside so you have no excuses!
3. Set yourself up for success. Dont pick a goal that is too hard right away. For example if you are trying to lose weight and haven’t been active for years, don’t start coming 2 hours a day 7 days a week! Start with 2 days a week for 30-45 minutes, then once you have accomplished that slowly work your way up!
4. Meet with one of our Certified Personal Trainers on staff! Like I said previously we specialize in goal setting and truly enjoy helping you reach those goals so if you at all question what goal to set, if its realistic, or just need help getting started we are here for you! Every member gets 2 complimentary 1 hour consultations when joining, they do not expire so use them!
5. Once your goal has been reached reward yourself with something healthy for you! “I just lost 10 lbs so I am going to buy myself a new workout top that I feel great in!”
6. Lastly, once a goal has been reached set another! “Now that I lost 10 Lbs I am feeling great I am going to try Boot Camp for a challenge!
I wish you the best of luck in 2015 and truly hope you SMART goals for yourself. Set yourself up for success with a realistic goal and with a little determination the rest will follow!